Arm Cortex-M23 Software Design
Standard Level - 4 daysview dates and locations
This course is designed for engineers developing software for platforms based around the Arm® Cortex®-M23 processor. The course includes an introduction to the Arm product range and supporting IP, the Cortex-M23 core, programmers' model, TrustZone-M security features, instruction set and debug architecture. The course includes a number of hands-on practical exercises covering both assembly and C programming to reinforce the lecture material.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for software engineers writing application and system software for platforms using the Cortex-M23 processor.
- C programming for Embedded Systems training (or equivalent C programming knowledge)
- Experience of assembler programming is not required but would be beneficial
- Some knowledge of embedded systems
- A basic awareness of Arm is useful but not essential
The training materials for this class are based on Arm's own material.
Doulos is a global Arm Approved Training Center.
- Introduction to Arm
- Cortex-M23 Overview Architectural Features • Register View • Modes of Execution • System Interfaces • Memory Map • Exceptions • Security Attribution • Power Management • Debug Features
- Armv8-M Baseline Programmers’ Model Introduction • Data Types • Core Registers • Modes, privilege and stacks • Exceptions • Instruction Set Overview
- Tools Overview for Arm Microcontrollers Arm Compilation Tools • Keil MDK • DS-5 Arm • Fast Models
- Cortex-M23 Processor Core Pipeline block diagram/Overview • Fetch, Decode/Execute, Complex Executes • Unaligned access penalties
- CMSIS Overview Introduction • CMSIS-Core • CMSIS-DSP • CMSIS-Driver • CMSIS-RTOS • CMSIS-SVD • CMSIS-Pack • CMSIS-DAP
- Armv8-M Baseline Assembly Programming Introduction • Data Processing Instructions • Load/Store Instructions • Flow Control • Miscellaneous
- Armv8-M Baseline Exception Handling Introduction • Exception Model • Exception Entry and Exit Behavior • Prioritization and Control • Interrupt Sensitivity • Writing the Vector Table and Interrupt Handlers • Internal Exceptions and RTOS Support • Fault Exceptions
- Armv8-M Memory Protection Memory Map • Memory Regions • Memory Attributes • MPU Programmer's model • Configuring the MPU • Memory Management Faults
- Armv8-M Synchronization Introduction to synchronization and semaphores • Exclusive accesses • Memory ordering
- Armv8-M Baseline Compiler Hints and Tips Compiler Support for Armv8-M • Language and Procedure Call Standards • Compiler Optimizations • Coding Considerations • Mixing C/C++ and Assembler • Local and Global Data issues
- Armv8-M Baseline Linker Hints and Tips Linking Basics • System and User Libraries • Veneers • Stack Issues • Linker Optimizations and Diagnostics • Arm Supplied Libraries
- Armv8-M Embedded Software Development Default compilation tool behavior • System startup • CMSIS-CORE startup and system initialization code • C library initialization • Tailoring the image memory map to a device • Scatter-loading • Linker placement rules • Stack and heap management • Further memory map considerations • Post startup initialization • Tailoring the C library to a device • Building and debugging an image
- Armv8-M Debug Introduction to Debug • Debug Modes and Security • Debug Events and Reset • Flash Patch and Breakpoint Unit - FPB • Data Watchpoint and Trace Unit - DWT • Micro Trace Buffer - MTB (optional) • Embedded Trace Macrocell - ETMv4.2 (optional) • Trace Port Interface Unit - TPIU (if ETM is implemented)
- Armv8-M DSP Extension Extensions Overview • DSP Extension
- Armv8-M Security Extension Overview • Memory Configuration • Function Calls & Toolchain Support • Exceptions
- Keil Tools Introductory Workbook
- Armv8-M Assembly Programming Workbook
- Armv8-M Exception Handling Workbook
- Armv8-M Embedded Software Development Workbook
- Armv8-M Compiler Hints and Tips Workbook
- Armv8-M Security Extension Workbook
Arm and Cortex, are registered trade marks of Arm Holdings Plc.
Looking for team-based training, or other locations?
Complete an on-line form and a Doulos representative will get back to you »Back to top