Xilinx - Designing with Multi-Gigabit Serial I/O
Training Duration: 3 days
Learn how to employ serial transceivers in your 7 series FPGA design.
The focus is on:
- Identifying and using the features of the serial transceiver blocks, such as 8B/10B and 64B/66B encoding, channel bonding, clock correction, and comma detection.
- Utilizing the 7 Series FPGAs Transceiver Wizard to instantiate transceiver primitives
- Synthesizing and implementing transceiver designs
- Taking into account board design as it relates to the transceivers
- Testing and debugging
This course combines lectures with practical hands-on labs.
FPGA designers and logic designers
- Verilog or VHDL experience (or Comprehensive Verilog or Comprehensive VHDL course)
- Familiarity with logic design (state machines and synchronous design)
- Basic knowledge of FPGA architecture and Xilinx implementation tools is helpful
- Familiarity with serial I/O basics and high-speed serial I/O standards is also helpful
- Vivado® System Edition 2015.1
- Mentor Graphics QuestaSim simulator 10.3d
- Architecture: 7 series FPGAs*
- Demo board: Kintex®-7 FPGA KC705 board*
* This course focuses on the Kintex-7 architecture. Please contact Doulos for the specifics of the in-class lab board or other customizations.
After completing this comprehensive training, you will know how to:
- Describe and utilize the ports and attributes of the serial transceiver in 7 series FPGAs
- Effectively utilize the following features of the gigabit transceivers:
- 8B/10B and other encoding/decoding, comma detection, clock correction and channel bonding
- Pre-emphasis and linear equalization
- Use the 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Wizard to instantiate GT primitives in a design
- Access appropriate reference material for board design issues involving the power supply, reference clocking and trace design
- 7 Series FPGAs Overview
- 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Overview
- 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Clocking and Resets
- 8B/10B Encoder and Decoder
- Lab 1: 8B/10B Encoding and Bypass
- Commas and Deserializer Alignment
- Lab 2: Commas and Data Alignment
- RX Elastic Buffer and Clock Correction
- Lab 3: Clock Correction
- Channel Bonding
- Lab 4: Channel Bonding
- Transceiver Wizard Overview
- Lab 5: Transceiver Core Generation
- Lab 6: Simulation
- Transceiver Implementation
- Lab 7: Implementation
- Physical Media Attachments
- 64B/66B Encoding and the Gearbox
- Lab 8: 64B/66B Encoding
- Transceiver Board Design Considerations
- Transceiver Test and Debugging
- Lab 9: Transceiver Debugging
- Lab 10: IBERT Lab
- Lab 11: System Lab
- Transceiver Application Examples
- Lab 1: 8B/10B Encoding and Bypass - Utilize the 8B/10B encoder and decoder and observe running disparity. Learn how to bypass the 8B/10B encoder and decoder.
- Lab 2: Commas and Data Alignment - Use programmable comma detection to align a serial data stream.
- Lab 3: Clock Correction - Utilize the attributes and ports associated with clock correction to compensate for frequency differences on the TX and RX clocks.
- Lab 4: Channel Bonding - Modify a design to use two transceivers bonded together to form one virtual channel.
- Lab 5: Transceiver Core Generation - Use the 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Wizard to create instantiation templates.
- Lab 6: Simulation - Simulate the transceiver IP using the IP example design.
- Lab 7: Implementation - Implement the transceiver IP using the IP example design.
- Lab 8: 64B/66B Encoding - Generate a 64B/66B core by using the 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Wizard, simulate the design, and analyze the results.
- Lab 9: Transceiver Debugging - Debug the transceiver IP using the IP example design and Vivado debug cores.
- Lab 10: IBERT Lab - Create an IBERT design to verify physical links.
- Lab 11: System Lab - Perform all design steps from planning the design, generating the core, integrating the core into a design, simulating, implementing and debugging the design, and optimizing the link parameter using an evaluation board.
Looking for team-based training, or other locations?
Complete an enquiry form and a Doulos representative will get back to you.
Enquiry FormPrice on request